Saturday, December 13, 2008

Um...Some Complications...

Where to start, where to start...Here we go...
Andrew & I arrived at the hospital as scheduled for the induction. Yadda, yadda...morning comes, I'd be contracting every 3-5 minutes, Dr. Gates came in & wanted to break my water. Well, apparently I'd gotten an infection & it was far too painful for him to examine me...what examining he got done showed that I was not dilated but a fingertip. Failed induction. We decided to just head home & wait for nature to take it's course (which I was more comfortable with anyway). I asked him to look at my leg before he left. Monday I had noticed a small, tender bump on my left leg & had him look at it at my appointment. He thought it looked superficial, not concerned...just watch it. And I had been, it got redder & bigger & spread to my upper leg...but didn't look horrible. And I wasn't too concerned at all.
Dr. Gates looked at it & wanted me to get an ultrasound prior to heading home. The ultrasound revealed a large blood clot in the deep central vien of my left leg. (DVT) It extends from above my calf to up in my groin. I knew that this was very serious but I didn't really get how serious until Dr. Gates layed it all out on the line. (I'll spare you the scary details) Normally, you just give Coumadin for this thin the blood & the clot gets broken down & you're fine. Can't do that when you are pregnant...but you can take Heparin...it just doesn't work as quickly. So, needless, to say, we did not get to go home. I will be on a heparin drip for the next 5-7 days here in the hospital. Grace is absolutely perfect...just not ready to be born. Which is what they want. If I go into labor they will stop the Hep so I can get my blood back to a safe level. I guess this is pretty rare. Dr. Gates has treated 3 in the last 10yrs.
I felt fine most of yesterday until the evening & my back started killing me! (oh, by the way...the contractions slowed & got irregular) So, we loaded up on pain killers last night...and they found a UTI...after ruling out kidney stones by ultrasound...so I'm on meds for that too. I've had several of faint moments today with vomitting...don't know why...Falling apart!
So, anywho...I will be on hospital bed rest for the next weekish...good thing they have wi-fi! Our spirits are good...just not at all what we expected. God surely works in mysterious ways...I was taking hot baths & massaging my leg daily...the exact thing NOT to do with blood clots. I told Dr. Gates that I wouldn't have come to the hospital with my leg. I thought in my head that the only way I was going to the hospital was if I was in labor. We can only praise God for His control over our lives and that he works all things for the good of those who love & honor Him. :)
And we are still looking forward to the birth (crazy birth!) of our first baby! Will try to update if things change!!!

2 comments:

Our Three Girls said...

I am so glad that God was watching out for you! I have no doubt that you are going to heal quickly and that you will deliver Grace without complications. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Enjoy that hospital food! :(

Tourtillot Family said...

Oh my gosh Emily! You poor thing. You and your family are in my prayers.
Love
Amy