Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Christmas Story

Why tell a Christmas story now? I guess it just popped in my head! It's a good story...

This past Christmas was the best Christmas ever...besides, of course, the first!... It's such a convoluted story...Full of surprises...I'll try to make it easy to understand... Andrew's dad got a new motorcycle and wanted to sell his...My dad was interested in buying it...but my mom has never been too excited about motorcycles so he decided not to...BUT my mom secretly bought it for him... At Thanksgiving, during dinner, my dad started teasing my mom about her buying this motorcycle for him...winking at all of us...like he's really funny. Then a couple of weeks before Christmas he told my mom that he had a dream that he was riding a new motorcycle. (He probably just made this up...He likes to tease.) Then a week before Christmas he told her again..."I just know you bought me a motorcycle." My mom called me all worried that John (my brother) or I had told him. Nope! He was just teasing her. So, 3 days before Christmas Jon & Ann (Andrew's parents) drove to Flora to deliver the motorcycle. We hid it in our neighbors garage (Deb & Paul). It was so hard for mom and I not to say anything to dad that evening...but we managed.


Next part of the story...Andrew really wanted Corn Hole boards...some people call it bags (us Hoosiers call it Corn Hole!). My dad built him and John (my brother) boards for Christmas...Andrew's with U of I on it... Andrew wasn't able to come home for Christmas...so we decided to meet Ann & Ellie (Andrew's niece) in a town between our homes at a bridal store to 1) try on wedding gowns & 2) give them Andrew's boards... I was trying on dresses and the lady at the store asked me to put my clothes back on...she had something on the other side of the store to show me and didn't want me to drag a dress on the ground. I rounded the corner...and there was Andrew!!! And his buddy Matt. They drove through the night to make it home for Christmas! It was such a good surprise.

Mom busted in my room Christmas morning with the plan... Andrew, Matt, & I would go over to Deb & Paul's to "deliver a present". Andrew would ride the motorcycle back over to the house with Matt & I blocking him with the truck. While all this was going my mom asked John and my dad to pick up the basement where Andrew & Matt had slept. John was instructed to keep my dad in the basement so the motorcycle could be delivered. She instructed my dad to keep John in the basement so she could set up the Corn Hole boards for John & Andrew. Sneaky! How funny...both of them making small talk...trying to keep each other downstairs!



Once Andrew, Matt, & I got back to the house...we sent Andrew & Matt downstairs to keep dad in the basement. Mom & I hurried to get the boards set up in the garage...right next to the motorcycle...When BAM!, my dad comes flying through the garage door!


He took one look at the motorcycle...back at my mom...then me...and said, "What have you done!?" Smiling ear to ear...At that point I ran inside to get Andrew, John, & Matt...They walked into the garage to see my dad all surprised and BAM! saw the Corn Hole boards... It was crazyville! So much fun. Didn't all work out as planned but it was so worth it...



Hopefully this all made sense...I'm well aware that this was one of those "had to be there moments"...It was one we'll never forget!

3 comments:

Our Three Girls said...

Great story! I'm sure you will never forget that Christmas! I love the pictures...and you guys!

the hortons said...

Good Story! I'm glad you posted it. Hey, what is a cornhole board?

Anonymous said...

i liked the story, too. and em, you are a really good blogger!